LQ Toronto Forums  

Go Back   LQ Toronto Forums > Madina Arabic Books > Advanced Questions

Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Default How many types of words can be derived from masdar

As salamu alaikum
I would like to know what types of words can be derived from masdar
Foe eg. The masdar fathun you get ismu fa'il: faatihun, ismu Mafhool: maftoohun, feel: fataha, ismu tafdeel: aftahu, noun of instrument: miftaahun

But for the masdar taqw, there are so many types of words derived from it and not sure what they are. The words listed in hans weir page 1094 are:
Waqy, waq, wiqya, waqqya, wiq'ī, waqīy, tuqan, taqīy, taqīya, wqin, wqiya and muttaqin.

Will be very grateful if anyone can shed some light.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to benss Send a message via Skype™ to benss

'aleikoum salm wa rahmatoullh wa baraktouh,

One should be mindful to what I'm gonna explain in point (I) before coming to the answer to your question point (II) and (III):

(I) The grammarians "disagreed" about what's the original roots/sources of every "dervied-arabic-words"(=DAW) (المشتقّات in arabic):
  • (a) Some of them maintained that the DAWs are build from the verb (الفعل), that is a three-letter roots. So, among the DAW is the masdar, ism f3il,...
  • (b) Others maintained that the DAWs rather derived rather from the masdar (المصدر), so that the verbs themselves dervied from the masdar.

Given point (I):

(II) Grammarians classified in general the DAWs into 7 categories:

1. اسم الفاعل
  2. اسم المفعول
  3. الصفة المشبهة
  4. اسم التفضيل
  5. اسم الزمان
  6. اسم المكان
  7. اسم الآلة

(III) From (I) and (II) we then understand that each (not really all) single "original" word has these 7 DAWs. Morevoer, if you adopt opinion (a), then you also have the other verbs mzid (from which you derived the corresponding masdar and the 7 DAWs mentionned above). If you adopt opinion (b), that is the masdar is the source, then you have as many masdars as "source-words", from which you derived the 7 DAWs plus the corresponding mazd verb.

Conclusion:

If you've got what i've wrote above then you may know now that ...

Quote:
Waqy, waq, wiqya, waqqya, wiq'ī, waqīy, tuqan, taqīy, taqīya, wqin, wqiya and muttaqin...
...Do not "derived" from the same "source-word" taqwa, depending on which opinion you adopt.

Hope I was clear enough.
Wa Allahou a3lam.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM

Jazakallah

Could you explain to me what sifatul mushabata is you listed in(II), I think it was listed in 3.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to benss Send a message via Skype™ to benss

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynul333 View Post
Jazakallah

Could you explain to me what sifatul mushabata is you listed in(II), I think it was listed in 3.
Salmou'aleika wa rahmatoullh wa baraktouh,
  • there is a lot to say about the الصفة المشبهة, moreover I haven't studied it deeply.

However, and as far as I know:
  • the الصفة المشبهة is actually a "shortcut" to designate more preciselly the الصفة المشبهة باسم الفاعل, that is to say (literally translated) "The adjective/descriptive assimilated to/similar to the active participle" (اسم الفاعل).
  • As studied in book 3 lesson 4, the active participle in arabic has in general the following pattern فاعل, as for قتل/قاتل, علم/عالم,...so this noun (اسم الفاعل) is used to designate the doer of the action/verb from which it (the verb) is derived.
  • However, the اسم الفاعل only exists (or it is only relevant for) verbs which are not intransitive (لازمِ). Indeed for verbs like قتل which is transitive you can say "a killer" قائل (it is the guy of make the action of "killing"), for قال (to tell/he tells) you can also refer to "a speaker/teller" as قائل, and again this is possible because the verbs are transitive (that is the verb/action refers to a doer who's doing something, the action of the verb, upon something/someone else).
  • But then how would you say for verbs which are not transitive ? Typically for verbs that describe someone's state/condition, like فَرِحَ (be glad), حَسُنَ (be good), جَمُلَ (be beautiful), غَضِبَ (to get worked up)... For these kind of verbs (not transitive) arabs apply other patterns (there are plenty among which فَعِيلٌ, فَعِلٌ,فَعْلانُ,...we have already came across some of them with Usted Assif), not to designate the doer of an action (since there is nor really an action) but to describe someone's state (described by the verb), that's why such nouns are named الصفة المشبهة باسم الفاعل; that is again:
    الصفة=adjective
    المشبهة = similar to/analogous/comparable
    باسم الفاعل= to the active participle

Got it ?

As I've said at the very begining "there is a lot to say", but it you got that, i guess it might be enough, at least for the time being .