PDA

View Full Version : does kaana gives the meaning of amr

hassan
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
assalamu alaikum.
i feel that there is an order in this sentence. but fayl amr is not used here. so does kaana also gives the meaning of an amr? can anyone please translate this sentence for me. its from lesson 4:
"أحسنت يامنصور. أرجو أن تكون سامِعاً للدرس وفاهِماً له."

amir2005i
09-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brother Hassan,

This is my understanding of this sentence. There me be mistakes in it (typing or otherwise) as i am still studying book 3. It would have to reviewed by someone who has more knowledge.

أحسنت يامنصور – You did well, Mansur.

أرجو - I request / Please

أن تكون – That you be / you to be (This is مصدر مؤول coming as مفعول به for أرجو )

The اسم for تكون is مستتر and it is estimated as أنتَ

سامِعاً - It is خبر كان منصوب and literally means: hearer -- as it is اسم فاعل

للدرس – For the lesson جار و مجرور -

و – And عطف -

فاهِماً - One who understendsعطوف على < سامعا > -

له – To it ('it' is pointing to الدرس)

I feel that the command is not coming from كان but from أرجو

The sentence thus should be translated as (which is not really possible literally :o ):

You did well, O Mansur. Please be hearing (i.e. attentive) and understanding to the lesson.

Something like that, but it really really is better understood in Arabic. :)

May Allah make it easy for us to understand His book.
Wa Alaikumu Assalam

benss
09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Salâmlou'aleikoum wa rahmatoullâh wa barakâtouh,

i'm not completely sure for the correct translation of أرجو أن تكون . However, for sure here the verb تكون is not in its amr form but it is in its mudâri3 form and it is mansub (with a fatha on the noun) because of the particle أن , otherwise if it was amr, it would have been كُنْ instead.

So, giving what i've said, the order form of the sentence would be:

كُنْ سامِعاً للدرس وفاهِماً له

while here it is actually:
أرجو أن تكون سامِعاً للدرس وفاهِماً له,
which, according to me, means:
" I hope you will be listening and figuring out the lesson". So, you might have noticed that because of the particule أن here, the mudâri3 of the verb turns into future tense (مستقبل). Indeed, the particle أن is by definition: حرف نصب و مصدر و استقبال

Hope it's clear.
Salâmlou'aleikoum wa rahmatoullâh wa barakâtouh
P.S: Sorry if my english is not correct

benss
09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I've just read amir2005i's post.

hassan, since the two answers to your questions are not similar, it's better to wait for a more experienced person for confirmation.

Sorry if I did wrong.

hassan
09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
wa alaikuma assalaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh.

jazaakumullaah my brothers.
sorry! actually the misunderstanding was something else. and it leads me to kaana yaanu, amr and what not :) but alhamdulillah its clear now after reading the translations.

actually the mudarris is saying this to mansoor because he was doing something wrong before. so after asking him few things the teacher requested him to be attentive from now.
i was thinking that why mudarris is saying that "please be hearing" when the class is over. actually the class is not over the lesson is over :rolleyes:

irf2k
09-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brother Hassan,

This is my understanding of this sentence. There me be mistakes in it (typing or otherwise) as i am still studying book 3. It would have to reviewed by someone who has more knowledge.

Amir,
Your analysis is 100% correct and complete.
Mashaallah you seem to have undestood the grammar very well.

amir2005i
09-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Amir,
Your analysis is 100% correct and complete.
Mashaallah you seem to have undestood the grammar very well.

Al Hamdu Lillah :)