PDA

View Full Version : Verbal sentence or nominal sentence?

halema
12-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Salaam

I am studying lesson 10 and 11 of madina book three regarding mubtada and khabar.

Would just like to know if the sentence "and i am going to the market" or "so I will come tomorrow" are verbal or nominal sentences. As they both start with a harf "and" and "so" I am confused as to whether they may be nominal sentences, as verbal sentence must begin with a verb e.g. "I am going to the market". Without the harf it is a clear verbal sentence.

Please let me know.

Jazakallah Khair

Halema

irf2k
12-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Walaikum Assalam

When classifying a sentence you must disregard conjuctions (harfu atfin). They are used to connect 2 sentences.

Hope this helps.

halema
12-30-2010, 07:46 AM
This answers my question. Jazakallah Khair.

Aaishah
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Assalaamu ‘alaikum Sr. Halema,

In addition to the last reply, these points will also help in sha Allaah:

A) In Madinah Book 3, key to lesson 14, our Shaykh Dr. Abdur Rahim – حَفِظَهُ اللهُ discusses a sentence in the Qur’aan (2: 186) that starts with the Harf إِنَّ and he termed the sentence - quote : “ a nominal sentence”.

So a sentence that starts with a Harf like inna, is a jumlah ismiyyah.

B) This also applies to other Huruuf (plural of: Harf) like the Sisters of Inna . A sentence that starts with any of these is termed: a jumlah ismiyyah.

C) The Scholars of Arabic have divided Arabic sentences into only two types:

1) ismiyyah and
2) fi’liyyah.

If a sentence starting with a Harf was seen as a third type of sentence, they would have said type three is: jumlah Harfiyyah – but there is no such classification.

In conclusion, a Harf has no iraabic status (no syntactical /grammatical status) and a sentence is analysed as nominal or verbal in accordance with the verb or noun coming after the Harf.

This applies to any Harf – whether it is:

a) a Harf ‘aTf (a conjunction that connects two sentences like al-waaw, thumma), or

b) a Harf which starts a sentence like inna and her sisters, or

c) Harfu l-istifhaam - used to ask a question e.g.: "?a", "hal", (this is different to ismu l-istifhaam which is not ignored in the analysis as it is an ism), or

d) a Harf like the negative maa: ما النَّافِيَةُ

e.g. مَا ذَهَبْتُ إلى السوقِ = جُمْلَةٌ فِعْلِيَّةٌ

'I did not go to the market'

etc.

A Point For Students To Note:

Our respected Shaykh Abdur Rahim pointed out to me that students who want to analyse a sentence from the Madinah Books, should not translate it into English. They should write it in Arabic - just as it appears in the Book. Then we can analyse it. But if it is written in English, we will not comment on analysis via English constructions.

Wassalaam