PDA

View Full Version : The word 'ahmad'?

mansoor786
08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Asalamualaikum

Firstly, Alhamdulilah I finished the madinah books yesterday. Want to thank Allah, uncle asif, dr abdur rahim and the rest of the brother n sisters who made the dvds. May Allah reward you.

Quick question. I know that ahmad is a noun is h-m-d I've forgotten what is ahmad is it masdar, intensive ism fa'il...etc?

I'm sure I knew this. It's been bugging me all day. Lol

adilbarra
08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Asalamualaikum

Firstly, Alhamdulilah I finished the madinah books yesterday. Want to thank Allah, uncle asif, dr abdur rahim and the rest of the brother n sisters who made the dvds. May Allah reward you.

Quick question. I know that ahmad is a noun is h-m-d I've forgotten what is ahmad is it masdar, intensive ism fa'il...etc?

BISMIALLAAH

wa sallamu Allaahi alayka my beloved brother in faith,

As you know all the good comes from Allaah, and all the praises solely belong to him only; may he be Glorified and Exalted.

First, I wanted to honeslty congratulate you on your completion of the miraculous and blessed Madinah Books; ma sha Allaah.

Second,yYou have asked a very common good question; ma sha Allaah.

Third, to answer question, please read the below break down of the verb you mentioned.

(حَمِدَ) means 'he praised'. It is a perfect base form verb (past tense), singular, and in the third person. When we render this verb into the imperfect tense (present tense) we say; (يَحْمَدُ) which means he prasies; however, if we want to say I praise, then we say (أَحْمَدُ) which is in the nominative case, and it is in the present first person singular.

Finally, I hope the above brief information clarifies your reasonable question. May Allaahu ta'ala reward: Brother Fuad Abdu ArRaheem, Brother Asif Mehrali, and the institute of the language of the Glorious Qur'an. May Allaahu ta'ala allow you to master the: elequent, blessed, and honoured langauge of the Glorious Qur'an, and send many peace and blessings unto our beloved Prophet Muhammad; baraka Allaahu feek.

Allaahu t'aala knows best:)

Aaishah
08-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Asalamualaikum

Assalaamu ‘alaikum Brother mansoor,

أَحْمَدُ :

As a noun, this is:

اسْمُ التَّفْضِيلِ

Its meaning is:

‘ More commendable’

Quote: Madinah Arabic Book 2, key to lesson 3 : ---------

"In this lesson we learn the following:

Comparative and superlative degrees of the adjective.

Adjectives in the comparative degree are on the pattern of

:أَفْعَلُ

like:

أَجْمَلُ

'more beautiful'

أَحْسَنُ

'better'

أَصْغَرُ

'smaller'

أَقْدَمُ

'older'

As we have already learnt, words on this pattern are diptotes and so have no tanwiin.

أَفْْعَلُ is followed by: مِنْ 'than'.

E.g. :

حامدٌ أَطْوَلُ مِنْ بلالٍ.

'Haamid is taller than Bilaal'

أَفْعَلُ is also used for the superlative degree.

End quote------------

Ismu l-tafDiil nouns are مَمْنُوعٌ مِنَ الصَّرْفِ

For a reminder of this, please see Madinah Book 3, lesson 34.

You have probably heard Muslims saying:

اللهُ أَعْلَمُ

Here, the ismu l-tafDiil is the khabar.

Since the mubtada' here is: لفظُ الجلالةِ, the meaning of the khabar is the superlative form:

"Allaah Is Most Knowing "

(often translated as: 'Allaah Knows Best'.)

There is more practice of nouns patterned on :

أَحْمَدُ

in the advanced course for those who have completed the Madinah Books, named:

“Selections From the Glorious Qur’aan

With Lexical and Grammatical Notes

And Explanatory DVDs

(36 lessons taught by the author himself)

by Dr. V. Abdur Rahim “

The Course (book + DVDs) can be downloaded from LQToronto’s web-site.

Hope you find this helpful.

Wassalaam

mansoor786
08-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Jazakallah khair for your helpful response.